Project Title: Health Tourism – Good Tourism: Joint Development of Medical and
Health Tourism in the HU-SRB Cross-Border Region
Project ID: HUSRB/1602/31/0084
Total Project budget: 503,345.21 EUR
EU contribution (IPA): 427,843.43 EUR
Start Date: 1 July 2018
End Date: 31 December 2019
Lead Beneficiary: Bács-Kiskun County Council
Beneficiary 1: Provincial Secretariat for Regional Development, Interregional Cooperation and Local Self-Government
Address: 6000 Kecskemét, Deák Ferenc tér 3.
Contact person: László Feledi
Telephone: +36 30 535 4901
The main objective of the project HEALTH-TOUR is to improve the border region's economy by attracting a higher number of tourists from the neighbouring Central European countries for longer stays through joint development of tourism based on health, medical and therapeutic tourism potentials of the Hungary-Serbia border region, the Interreg-IPA CBC Hungary-Serbia Programme Area.
Health and medical tourism capacities of the border region are excellent. On one hand, these capacities are based on the high thermal geological resources and, accordingly, the rich capital of mineral water and long tradition of utilizing it for therapeutic purposes. On the other hand, they are based on the high standard of medical training and availability of a certain type of high-quality medical services for significantly lower prices than in other countries – suitable for the development of medical tourism in the border region.
Despite the existing capacities, the region still suffers from low occupancy, e.g. under-utilization of available capacities, for several reasons:
- insufficient market and capacity research;
- low intensity of uniform branding and efficient marketing activities;
- lack of sufficient health and medical tourism development strategy
- the need for infrastructural development.
The project contributes to solving these problems by:
- development of an integrated marketing strategy and action plan for health and medical tourism with adequate marketing tools for the Hungary-Serbia border region.
- joint representation of an integrated identity and marketing image of the Hungary-Serbia border region and its health and medical tourism potentials at tourism fairs and project events inside and outside of the programme area.
- cross-border transfer of know-how between Hungary and Serbia regarding proposal development for improving medical tourism in the border region.
- design of Development Concept and Development plans to contribute to the joint sustainable development of health, medical and balneal therapeutic tourism potentials and capacities of the border area.